Most people need to borrow money when buying their first home. So is it really important to have a strategy as soon as you plan on getting one, or should you wait until you have the funds to start?
In this episode, Founder and Managing Director of Property Planning Australia, David Johnston, joins us as we dive into borrowing strategy, discuss the important things all first home buyers need to know (that they often don't) before approaching mortgage brokers, and why setting up a borrowing strategy early on is so essential.
Tune in to the episode and we'll see you on the inside!
1. What is a borrowing strategy? [02:26]
2. Important things first time buyers need to think about before approaching Property Planning [04:08]
3. What do rent-vestors need to consider that owner-occupiers don't need to worry about? [05:19]
4. What if you intend to make your first home a future investment? [09:17]
5. Why interest rates aren't something you should focus on [13:54]
6. Avoidable mistakes that first home buyers commonly make [19:50]
7. Are online lenders risky? [21:20]
8. What brokers offer that going directly to a bank don't [24:30]
9. How can FHBs make themselves more attractive as a mortgage customer? [30:43]
10. David's overall advice for first time home buyers [33:54]
David Johnston is the Founder and Managing Director of Property Planning Australia and author of 'How to Succeed with Property to Create your Ideal Lifestyle' and "Property for Life - Using Property to Plan Your Financial Future".
Property Planning Australia was established in 2004, which was born out of David's vision to help all Australians make successful property, mortgage strategy and money management decisions.
If you enjoyed today's podcast, don't forget to subscribe, rate and share the show! There's more to come, so we hope to have you along with us on this journey!